5 Easy Tips for Successful Weight Loss for Women After 40
Losing weight isn’t one of those things you do in your spare time. Especially for women over 40 who want to keep the weight off. It’s a life transformation. You to transform the way you eat and live. But that doesn’t mean it has to be difficult.
In fact if you can approach weight loss as a “fun and easy game”, you’re more likely to keep going.
Expect Set Backs to Healthy Eating and Weight Loss
As with any goal in life, we don’t get there in the blink of an eye. It’s more like two steps forward followed by one step back.
When you can expect the obstacles, the steps back, you’ll be able to take them in your stride.
Don’t Let the Set Backs Stop You From Eating Healthily
The danger is making obstacles mean something about you. You’re doing well when suddenly you trip up. Those gremlins in your head start telling you stories.
“You’re no good!” “You’ve messed up again!”
You might as well give up!
Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!
That’s exactly what you don’t want to think.
Try This Instead
Ideally, you’ll see the obstacle before it happens. You’ll tell yourself that it was just a step back. No big deal. There are many steps back on the route to success.
If those gremlins start talking. Just say “oh hello gremlins. I hear you! But you know what? I’m human. I tripped up. I’m going to keep going!”
And that’s it. Brush yourself down and keep to the plan.
Here are some more Mind Set Tips to Get You Started on Your Weight Loss Journey
- Start by loving yourself. If you want to lose weight because you hate yourself and your body, you won’t be kind to yourself. Think of it as teaching a kid to ride a bike by shouting at them instead of encouraging them. You want loving encouragement.
- Know yourself. Self awareness is a lifelong journey. It’s one of the keys of creating a healthy lifestyle that works for you. Don’t join a running club if you hate running. Don’t set a goal to get up at 5 to do yoga if you’re a night owl and hate early mornings.
- Don’t compare yourself to others. Worked for your friend so must work for you? Wrong! Human physiology is complicated. Nutrition affects us all in different ways. There are several “pillars of nutrition” that apply to us all but you have to take in your individuality. Walk your own journey and enjoy it.
- Create habits that work for you. Think that people who have healthy habits are more disciplined than you? It’s not true! They set up their lives so their habits work. (This goes hand in hand with self awareness.)
- Go for a lifestyle change rather than a “diet”. Here’s a hard truth. If you’re gaining weight now, you know you need to make changes. If you diet for a few months and go back to what you’re doing now, you’ll get the same result. Weight gain. Don’t worry! You can make small changes that will make a difference. Small changes that you can sustain.
Helpful Fit and Fabulous Podcasts
Why not go for a walk and listen to some inspiring podcasts at the same time? Here are a few that you might find interesting:
How to Lose Weight and Cook for Your Family.
7 Easy Things You Can Do to Lose Weight
Check out all the podcasts on the podcast index.
3 Easy Steps to Weight Loss for Busy Mums
If you’d like some help with weight loss and healthy eating, I invite you to sign up for my “3 easy steps blue print”.